Here are a few of the benefits of the pass:
- When you want flexibility because you can always change your plans and take the next train if you want to explore somewhere and stay a bit longer.
- If you don’t want the hassle of having to buy tickets on-route.
- When you want the peace of mind that if you miss a train you can simply take the next convenient one, at no additional cost.
- When you want the freedom to meander around a country or the whole of Europe without a fixed timetable.
- The pass can offer a major saving especially on long journeys and during high season.
Ten InterRailing Tips:
- Planning pays off if you want a leisurely and comfortable trip, especially pre-booking at least the first nights accommodation at each destination.
- Download the handy InterRail planning app which works on iPhone and Android devices and is great for checking times and routes whilst travelling.
- InterRail have a good website for planning journeys and they can book necessary reservations for sleeper trains and high-speed routes.
- Use overnight trains to save on accommodation costs and minimise perceived travelling time, but there are supplements to pay.
- For short trips between destinations it may sometimes be sensible to take a bus or buy a local train ticket and save a rail pass travel day for longer journeys.
- Although you can usually take as much luggage as your like, its sensible to pack light and only take one wheeled bag/case to reduce transit hassle.
- Buy your favourite picnic food and drink for long journeys and skip the overpriced and usually poor fare from the snack trolley.
- Whatever it is that you enjoy at home for relaxation – reading, music, games, films – take some with you for long journeys or station waits
- You can reserve seats at any station on your day of travel, but during high season (June-September) reserve seats as far in advance as possible if you need to travel on a specific train – especially French TGV, Thalys and sleeper trains.
- The InterRail website has an option to search timetables to find which trains do not need a reservation.