Here at Silver Travel Advisor, we are frequently asked questions about limited mobility and accessible travel. We are firm believers in helping silver travellers to get out and about and to enjoy themselves. Whether this is a day trip or a holiday, the emphasis is on solutions and ways to help.
The following list is offered by way of suggestion and information that we hope will be useful to you. It’s accurate to the best of our knowledge, but we cannot be held responsible for any errors. If you can’t find what you are looking for, simply email [email protected] and we will do our best to assist.
Flying with a disability
AccessAble have detailed access guides to 12 airports in the UK and Ireland on their website and app. The guides cover everything from parking and walking distances to restaurants, quiet spaces, accessible toilets and hearing loops, all checked in person.
DiamondAir help older passengers who are concerned about airports and the whole flying experience or who have mobility requirements. They offer a very personal service to accompany clients from arrival at the airport right through to boarding the plane. The service is available at UK and many overseas airports.
Heathrow Airport Guide
Gatwick Airport Guide
Gatwick Airport Guide have a useful page on their website for senior travel including tips and suggestions.
Elgar Coaches – helping the less able to travel. Coaches with lifts are on some day trips and holidays.
National Express and Eavesway Travel – offer some support.
We suggest the following sites:
- Senior Railcard
- Disabled Persons Railcard for rail travel, senior disabled railcards, etc.
- Right of transport for passengers with reduced mobility
SpecialNeedsTaxi – this is a link to a listing of a large number of taxi companies who have taxis suitable for persons of limited mobility with or without wheelchairs.
Websites for Equipment Hire and Services for Limited Mobility Travellers
Specialist Vehicle Hire – provide self-drive hire of disability and wheelchair accessible adapted vehicles throughout the UK.
Ports Direct – transportation service from your home to port and return. Comfortable vehicles and good reports.
Special Needs Group – special needs equipment rentals around the world.
Rent a Scoota – hire all over the UK including other equipment and scooters for cruises through mobility at sea.
Mobility Hire – wheelchair hire.
Wheelfreedom – the mobility hire specialists.
You may also find interesting:
- Questions to ask as a limited mobility traveller
- Suggestions for activities for limited mobility travelers while on holiday
- Specialist companies for those with limited mobility or accessibility requirements
- Companies and Properties around the UK which offer accessible accommodation
- Tips, ideas and useful websites for those travelling with a wheelchair, limited mobility or disability
- Useful travel sites for dementia, dialysis, oxygen, carers and general information