By Michele Monro
Few people know as much about cruising with a disability as Michele Monro. The daughter of much-loved singer, Matt Monro, Michele has spent more than 40 years travelling the world on cruise liners. For the last 14 years she has combined her love of cruising with her work as a specialist speaker for companies including Celebrity, P&O, Fred. Olsen and Royal Caribbean.
In the 1990s Michele was diagnosed with MS. It was then she began to fully appreciate the absence of advice and information about cruise travel with a special need. Michele felt strongly that whilst living with a disability presents a lot of obstacles, a cruise holiday shouldn’t have to be one of them and she began what was to become 3 years of painstaking research covering all the possible details a disabled cruise traveller needs to know.
The Autonomous Cruiser is the result. The most up to date and comprehensive guide available, advising on the whole process of cruising, including: –
- Cruise and port choices, and the accessibly of cruise terminals. A comprehensive section on fly-cruises including airport guides, car park assistance, wheelchair advice, checked luggage, lounges, and delayed and missed departures
- Critical pre-planning information including holiday administration, vaccinations, medication, cabin selection, upgrades, pier transfers, luggage services, drinks packages, specialty dining and online check-in
- Life on board incorporates embarkation, cruise ship etiquette, dining, entertainment, meetings, bridge visits, swimming pools, spa facilities shopping and duty free, photo gallery, onboard savings, ship visits, port calls, tendering, safety, technology at sea and the travel scams to watch out for
- Caregivers, chaperones and service dogs
- A directory outlining the most important disability resources, including accessible shore excursions, dedicated apps, cruise specialists and accessible travel agents
This market first book covers the most common areas of special needs – from those travelling with pre-existing conditions, special dietary considerations, prescriptions and medication, epilepsy, diabetes, heart disease, dementia, cognitive, intellectual and developmental disabilities, compromised immune systems, breathing disorders, kidney disease, and visual and hearing impairments to make this the most comprehensive guide to cruising available.
The Autonomous Cruiser by Michele Monro is published by Clink Street Publishing on the 8th March: RRP £29.99 and can be ordered through all good book shops. Both the paperback and eBook £6.99 are available to buy online from all good retailers including Amazon.co.uk