This month’s Silver Travel Cook Club features a recipe for poached salmon and cucumber salad from sponsor Viking’s recipe book The Kitchen Table.
Exploring destinations and discovering different cultures and traditions is at the heart of every Viking river and ocean journey. And of course, food – not only the recipes prepared by the onboard chefs, but local cuisine in all the fascinating places Viking’s ships visit – is an essential part of the overall Viking experience.
Viking created this recipe book in response to requests from guests, who told them how much they enjoyed the food served on board their ships, and in the ports of call, and wanted to try making some of these dishes at home.
You will find some of Viking’s favourite recipes from Scandinavia, Western and Eastern Europe, Asia, North America and the Caribbean, inspired by their travels and yours. It is a food odyssey, and a celebration of all the wonderful flavours you can savour while travelling the world.
Exploring the World in Comfort, with Viking
With destination-focused journeys on all seven continents, discover river, ocean and expedition voyages for curious travellers, with Viking.
Recipe: Viking Chairman’s Choice – Poached Salmon & Cucumber Salad
Watch the video | Serves 4
- 4 salmon fillets (around 6 oz/170g)
For the cucumber salad:
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 ½ fl oz (100ml) water
- 8 ½ fl oz (250ml) rice wine vinegar
For the chive sauce (SANDEFJORD SMØR):
- 1 pint (475ml) double cream
- 2 ¾ oz (80g) butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- Peel the cucumber and slice into discs. Sprinkle the discs with salt and allow to marinate for 5 minutes. Pour away the liquid. Mix the sugar, water and vinegar, and cover the sliced cucumber. Place in the fridge for half an hour. Drain and reserve.
- Bring a pan of salted water to a boil, then turn down the heat and add the salmon fillets. Allow to poach for about 8 minutes until the fish meat flakes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chive sauce. Bring the cream to the boil in a saucepan, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer until reduced by half. Whisk in the butter, then add the fresh chives and season to taste.
How to win a copy of The Kitchen Table
Comment below to tell us which recipe you would like to create at home that you enjoyed whilst on holiday, possibly on an ocean or river cruise.
A winner will be chosen at random in early October 2023.
The competition closes on 30 September 2023.