Please note: this prize draw is now closed.
This month we’re heading to America with our partner Pure Michigan and specifically to Detroit for a fabulous feast!
You could win a copy of Loui Loui’s Detroit Style Pizza Book: A How To Guide.
Detroit Style Pizza is sweeping the world. This is a definitive guide for making the most delicious and flavorful pizza you have ever tasted. In this book, you’ll find the secrets behind amazing crust, cheese, sauce, toppings, signature combinations and key recipes used in the author’s restaurant, Loui Loui’s Authentic Detroit Style Pizza. Inside you’ll find information about so much more than square pizza, including page after page of colour photos, commentary, anecdotes and how-to directions.
Discover Pure Michigan
Michigan is famous for its wonderfully clear skies, perfect for star-gazing and its superb coastlines along the Great Lakes, with State and National Parks celebrating the natural beauty, including sculptured sand dunes and glacial formations. Across the entire state visitors enjoy a farm-to-fork culture, with local produce featuring high on menus. Local wines from vineyards around Traverse City and craft beers made in Grand Rapids are delicious accompaniments.
Detroit, or Motor City as it’s known, has a long and deep musical tradition in the magic that is Motown, starting with the Tamala record label founded by Berry Gordy Jr way back in 1958, as well as more recent genres such as Detroit techno. Pre-dating Tamala however, the Detroit-style pizza was invented in 1946 by an Italian immigrant named Gus Guerra, emulating the pizzas from his home in Sicily but baking them in the blue steel pans of the city’s automobile industry. And that’s how the very distinctive pizza was created!
Recipe: Detroit Style Pizza
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package thick pepperoni slices
- Pour warm water into the bowl of stand mixer; mix in yeast and sugar and let dissolve.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt, and bread flour. Knead mixture together with a dough hook attachment until dough is very smooth, soft, and elastic.
- Drizzle remaining 1 teaspoon oil onto a 10×14-inch Detroit-style pizza pan; use your fingers to spread oil over the bottom of the pan. Place dough in the center of the pan. Oil your fingers, then pull and stretch dough into a rectangular shape.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Bring marinara sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 274C/525F. Combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese into bowl. Toss lightly to mix together.
- Finish the dough: Rub fingertips with some olive oil from the pan. Press out air from the dough while stretching and pushing it into a rectangle that goes all the way to the edges of the pan. Stretch dough up the sides about 1/2 inch or so.
- Lay almost all pepperoni slices onto dough. Scatter cheese evenly over top, making sure to fully cover all the edges where dough meets the pan.
- Ladle sauce on top in three long strips. Arrange remaining pepperoni slices over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until pizza is a bit darker than golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Slide pizza onto a cutting board. Slice into rectangular pieces. Eat and enjoy!
How to win a copy of Loui Loui’s Detroit Style Pizza Book: A How To Guide
Comment below to tell us which pizza you have most enjoyed eating and where you ate it.
A winner will be chosen at random in early July 2023.
The competition closes on 30 June 2023.