Please note: the prize draw is now closed.
With the recent opening of Baz Lehrmann’s new biopic Elvis, starring Aaron Butler in the lead role and Tom Hanks as Colonel Parker, we’d like to tempt you with recipes from America’s southern states.
Sponsored by Titan Travel, you could win Southern Lovin’: Old Fashioned from Scratch Southern Favorites by S L Watson, filled with mouth watering recipes, including a serious breakfast selection!
Southern Sights & Sounds
And if this whets your appetite, Titan’s Southern Sights and Sounds Tour will offer you even more on a 14 day trip which takes in magical Elvis moments too, with visits to Graceland including an Elvis Experience Tour and a trip to Studio B in Nashville!
Add to those, Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans for a truly southern experience.
Music fans will be delighted by a performance at Grand Ole Opry, legendary since the first performances in 1925.
There’s history too on this tour, the Civil Rights movement has its roots here, started by Rosa Parks and led by Martin Luther King Jnr.
You might also enjoy a shot of Jack Daniels on a distillery tour!
Book your trip by calling 0800 412 5678.
Recipe: Fried Green Tomatoes
Our recipe to try at home has to be fried green tomatoes! Rather boring to look at however delicious to eat. And recipe is in ‘American’ so adapt to British measurements as you go. Yummy for breakfast with fried eggs.
- waxed paper
- 1 ½ large eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pounds green tomatoes, sliced
- ¾ cup canola (or rapeseed) oil for frying, or as needed
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Beat eggs and water in a shallow bowl. Place flour and cornmeal in 2 separate shallow bowls. Season cornmeal with salt and pepper.
- Dip each tomato slice into flour, then dip into egg mixture. Press tomato into cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. Transfer tomato to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tomato slices, arranging tomatoes in a single layer.
- Heat about 1/4 inch canola (or rapeseed) oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Fry tomatoes in batches until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel-lined plates. Repeat with remaining tomatoes.
How to win a copy of Southern Lovin’: Old Fashioned from Scratch Southern Favorites by S L Watson
Comment below to tell us which is your favourite Elvis song and why!
A winner will be chosen in early August 2022.
The competition closes on 31 July 2022.
Read more about all of our Silver Travel Cook Club recipes.