1. Visit LAKE LOUISE early in the morning or late evening to avoid the crowds. The rising sun on Victoria glacier is a sight to treasure.
2. At LAKE LOUISE if you have time do hike along the waterfront and up through forested bear country to LAKE AGNES and enjoy strong Canadian coffee and cake.
3. MORAINE LAKE is stunning and quieter than LAKE LOUISE.
4. Aquamarine EMERALD LAKE is quieter than LAKE LOUISE too but equally spectacular. Take a canoe and enjoy the vista.
5. On the way to EMERALD LAKE do pull in at the SPIRAL RAILWAY TUNNELS car park and lookout, especially if a freight train is approaching. See the front of the train emerge from the figure of eight tunnels whilst the rear of the train is still entering.
6. Don’t take the TRANS-CANADIAN highway from BANFF to LAKE LOUISE. The scenic BOW VALLEY PARKWAY-highway 1A -is quieter and is a must do. Wildlife can be seen in abundance. Visit JOHNSTONE CANYON – a magnificent watery grotto.
7. The ICEFIELDS PARKWAY is spectacular. Do take a picnic and sit by one of the aquamarine lakes. The bakery in LAKE LOUISE village is a very good place to call in. Fill up with gas at SASKATCHEWAN RIVER CROSSING -its a long way to JASPER or LAKE LOUISE from here.
8. When visiting PEYTO LAKE use the higher car park which the buses use-it’s a much easier stroll to the lookout and saves time too.
9. On the way along THE ICEFIELD PARKWAY do lookout for
THE WEEPING WALL, BOW LAKE, SUNWAPTA AND ATHABASCA FALLS
all are spectacular and free to visit.