This month’s Silver Travel Cook Club features a recipe for Galletas de Aceite (olive oil, raisin and lemon cookies) inspired by sponsor Sovereign Luxury Travel’s Canary Islands holidays.
And you could win a copy of Spanish Made Simple: 100 Foolproof Spanish Recipes for Every Day by Omar Allibhoy.
Spanish food can be incredibly easy to make at home. In Spanish Made Simple, Omar Allibhoy, the chef behind the Tapas Revolution restaurants, guides you through the basics of 100 key Spanish dishes. All the ingredients are available from supermarkets and you don’t need to be an expert cook.
Spanish cooking is characterised by deep flavours, vibrant colour and minimal ingredients so you will learn to make a paella that packs a punch without spending hours in the kitchen, cook up a tapas feast for friends, and even whip up a delectable Spanish dessert in minutes.
Sunny and delicious, informal and every day, Spanish cooking is for everyone, from skilled chefs to complete beginners, and Omar tells you how.
Luxury Canary Island Holidays from Sovereign
Sovereign currently have lots of special offers in the Canary Islands. The Canary Islands have been a popular option for holidaymakers since the 1960s. This volcanic Spanish island chain sits off the coast of Morocco and has been shaped by the influence of North African and European settlers and centuries of Atlantic trade. All seven islands boast dramatic scenery, with black and white sand beaches, vast sand dunes and rugged rock formations.
Holidays in the Canary Islands are about relaxation. Relax beside the pool, wander in charming villages or enjoy a world class spa treatment. You’ll find excellent options for eating and drinking in most major resorts; from hearty local fare to international cuisines. Sovereign is a leader in crafting bespoke luxury.
How about Tenerife’s fives star Iberostar Grand Hotel Salome located near Costa Adeje on the west coast? Its attractive grounds overlook the ocean and feature a range of bars and restaurants. On Lanzarote, the Princess Yaiza Suite Hotel is a dreamy jumble of domes and minarets in Playa Blanca.
Call our Silver Travel Advisors to book your next trip to the Canary Islands: 0800 412 5678.
Recipe: Galletas de Aceite (olive oil, raisin and lemon cookies)
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 125g caster sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 100g raisins
- ½ tsp salt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250g self-raising flour
- In a big bowl, vigorously whisk both the sugars with the olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and the egg and whisk for another 2 minutes.
- Add the raisins, salt and lemon zest.
- Sift over the flour and fold with a spatula for no longer than 2 minutes. The mixture will lose its fluffiness and get firmer the longer you fold it, so don’t over do it. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the chilled dough into balls the size of ping pong balls and place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving at least 10 cm (4 inches) between each one to allow for spreading.
- Bake for about 10 minutes if you like them soft and doughy, or 9 minutes if you prefer them crispier.
How to win a copy of Spanish Made Simple by Omar Allibhoy
Everyone has a favourite Spanish recipe; there are so many to choose from, from classic paella to tasty tortilla.
Comment below to tell us about a Spanish dish you have enjoyed and where.
A winner will be chosen in early May 2022.
The competition closes on April 30th 2022.