This month the Silver Travel Cook Club is visiting Japan with Wendy Wu Tours. You could win a copy of Japanese Cookbook for Beginners: Classic and Modern Recipes Made Easy by Azusa Oda.
Try the recipe below for Okonomiyaki – Japanese pancake with seafood, it’ll be a good way to get started!
For authentic dishes, you could travel with Wendy Wu Tours on the Japan Uncovered guided trip: 17-days from £7,090pp
This 17 day fully inclusive immersive tour covers all the classic sights from the buzzing city of Tokyo to the dramatic contrast city of Kyoto, and the key cultural activities in each city. Combining the old with the new, this Japan tour is the perfect insight to the top destination for 2022 and 2023 travel.
Starting in the foodie haven of Osaka, travel through to meet the deer of Nara and the temples of Himeji. Travel to the symbolic city of Hiroshima and take step back in history to uncover the tragedy and uproar the city experienced, before heading over to the gorgeous city of Kyoto. After wandering through the winding streets and enjoying an authentic tea ceremony, explore the traditional cities of Kanazawa and Takayama, before meeting the mischievous snow monkeys. Gaze in awe at the stunning Mount Fuji before ending the tour in the bustling city of Tokyo.
Recipe: Okonomiyaki – Japanese pancake with seafood
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes (plus 2 hours resting)
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 100ml cooled fish, vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 baby potato
- ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Thumb-sized ginger piece, grated
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 100g lightly cooked squid or prawns (own preference)
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp mirin
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Dried bonito flakes
- Powdered seaweed or togarashi seasoning
- Sliced spring onion
- Mix the flour, baking powder, egg and stock until smooth, ensuring there are no lumps. Add the potato, season with salt and white pepper. Cover and let it rest for around 2 hours.
- While the mix is resting, combine the ingredients for the sauce. Once smoothed, set aside.
- Take the batter from the fridge, add the cabbage, spring onion, ginger, soy, mirin and chosen seafood. Thoroughly coat the mix in the batter.
- In a frying pan, heat a thin layer of oil on a medium heat and pour the mixture into the pan. Fry for up to 5 mins, keeping it as circular as possible. Flip the pancake and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Once cooked through, flip the pancake onto the board and serve with sauces and garnishes, and enjoy.
How to win a copy of Japanese Cookbook for Beginners by Azusa Oda
Comment below to tell us why you would like to visit Japan, and what would you like to see.
A winner will be chosen in early June 2022.
The competition closes on 31 May 2022.
Read more about all of our Silver Travel Cook Club recipes.