Please note: this prize draw is now closed. / This month’s Silver Travel Cook Club features a recipe for German Apple Cake inspired by sponsor VIVA Cruises.
And you could win a copy of A Taste of Germany: The Complete German Cookbook With More Than 700 Authentic German Recipes by Hannah Becker.
Master cooking, the German way! This book will teach you all the basics you will need to know to get that authentic German Flavour, followed by the recipes including recipes for soups, casseroles, sauces, sauerkraut and of course sausages.
German river cruising with VIVA Cruises
European river cruise specialist, VIVA Cruises, announces the expansion of its second build ship, VIVA TWO, in 2023. On 23 March 2023, VIVA TWO will be christened in its home port of Düsseldorf. It will feature 95 stylish and comfortable cabins (including eight suites) for up to 190 passengers.
For the foodie lovers out there, VIVA TWO will be home to three restaurants on-board: VIVA’s Bistro, offering a casual atmosphere and a wide selection of snacks and smaller dishes available from early morning until late at night – as well as a privilege view from the back of the ship; Riverside, the main restaurant featuring a wide selection of breakfast, lunch and dinner menus; and MOMENTS, the place to go for top-class specialty food, accompanied with light entertainment. All dining options will be included in the cruise package part of the VIVA All-Inclusive product.
VIVA TWO’s 7-night Maiden Voyage will sail from Frankfurt on 1 April 2023, heading upstream along the Main River. Passing through cities including Bamberg, Nuremberg and Regensburg, the maiden voyage will take her along the Danube to the three-river city of Passau, the end destination. Costs for the Maiden Voyage start at £1,450 per person.
Recipe: German Apple Cake
Apple cake is revered in Germany, and Rick Stein’s classic apfelkuchen with a crunchy cinnamon topping will show you why. Any dessert apples will work for this, but avoid using Bramleys that won’t keep their shape.
- 2 dessert apples, peeled, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 125g/4½oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 140g/5oz golden caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp full-fat milk
For the topping:
- 1½ tbsp demerara sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/Gas 3. Butter and line a 23cm/9in round cake tin.
- Coat the apple wedges in the lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar, using an electric hand mixer, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. Slowly add the milk, mixing well after each addition, until you have a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to the cake tin. Arrange the apple slices, flat-side down, on the batter in a spiral pattern.
- For the topping, mix together the demerara sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40–45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean and the top is golden-brown. Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tin. Run a knife around the edges of the cake and turn it out of the tin onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream
Recipe courtesy BBC Food
How to win a copy of A Taste of Germany: The Complete German Cookbook With More Than 700 Authentic German Recipes by Hannah Becker
Passports ready! Comment below to tell us about your 2023 travel plans, resolutions or where you would like to travel to
A winner will be chosen at random in early February 2023.
The competition closes on 31 January 2023.
Read more about all of our Silver Travel Cook Club recipes.