Please note: this prize draw is now closed.
This month’s Silver Travel Cook Club features a recipe for Hungarian Beef Goulash inspired by sponsor APT River Cruises.
And you could win a copy of Goulash Recipes for Royalty: Incredible Goulash Recipes Fit for a King by Chloe Tucker.
Goulash or Gulyas in Hungarian means herdsman stew. It is a stewed dish consisting of protein, usually meat, vegetables (mostly potatoes), and spices, not forgetting smoked Hungarian paprika. This adds a red colour but also gives the dish some earthiness. While goulash can be traced back to the 9th century, it has spread around the world evolving into amazing varieties far from the original.
Today’s goulash has everything you’d expect but still retains that stew base it’s known for. This book contains 30 recipes to get you started.
Luxury river cruising with APT River Cruises
Step aboard this brand-new contemporary cruise ship, which departures from Amsterdam and sails along Europe’s iconic rivers. This 14-night cruise sails along the Rhine gorge into Rudesheim and on to Nuremberg before cruising along the Danube to Vienna and then down to Budapest. Immerse yourself in the local culture, explore World Heritage sites which includes Augustusberg Castle and savour traditional dishes onboard this fabulous cruise. APT is an award-winning luxury river cruise family-owned business which has been operating for over 90 years. APT offer exceptional service with excellent trust pilot reviews along with great value. Cruise prices include UK return flights, transfers, a cruise director to accompany you on your cruise as well as all your meals with complimentary drinks and a wide range of inclusive onshore excursions and onboard tipping and port charges.
Click here to find out more.
Recipe: Hungarian Beef Goulash
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 700g stewing steak, cut into chunks
- 30g plain flour
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 75ml dry white wine
- 300ml beef stock, homemade or shop-bought
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 150ml soured cream
- Heat oven to 160C / 130C fan/gas 3.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a flameproof casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan. Sprinkle 700g stewing steak chunks with 30g plain flour and brown well in three batches, adding an exra 1tbsp oil for each batch. Set the browned meat aside.
- Add in the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the casserole dish, followed by 1 large thinly sliced onion, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 green pepper and 1 red pepper, both finely sliced. Fry until softened, around 5-10 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan with 2 tbsp tomateo puree and 2 tbsp parika. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add in 2 large diced tomatoes, 75ml dry white wine and 300ml beef sock. Cover and bake in the oven for 1 hr 30 mins – 2 hrs. Alternatively, cover and cook it on the hob on a gentle heat for about an hour, removing the lid after 45 mins.
- Sprinkle over 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves and season well wtih salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in 150ml soured cream and serve.
How to win a copy of Goulash Recipes for Royalty: Incredible Goulash Recipes Fit for a King by Chloe Tucker
Pancakes in Amsterdam, schnitzels in Austria and of course goulash in Hungary. Comment below to tell us about a Central European meal you have enjoyed or are keen to savour.
The best comment will win a copy of the book.
A winner will be chosen in early January 2023.
The competition closes on 31 December 2022.
Read more about all of our Silver Travel Cook Club recipes.