At Silver Travel Advisor, we have taken a tongue-in-cheek look at travel packing tips for mature travellers. It’s a bit of fun, but as something of a silver tripadvisor we like to make the point that today’s Silver Travellers are going further and being more adventurous in their trips and holidays than any previous generation.
In fact, today’s mature traveller is far more likely to pack a Rough Guide and a pack of malaria pills than the stereotypical comfortable shoes and cardigans that they were once associated with.
Our definitive packing guide
- Flight compression socks – great for wrapping around bottles of duty free in the luggage
- Haemorrhoid cream – to conceal late night bags from under the eyes
- A passport – in case you’re ID checked in the local clubs
- A compass – to find your way home again
- A local phrase book – wedge a few pages under wobbly bar tables to avoid spilt drinks
- Wet wipes – great for cleaning red wine stains off the hotel bedroom carpet
- Slippers – if you look eccentric you can make all kinds of unreasonable demands
- Reading glasses – to replace the ones you lost on your head
- Walking stick – ideal for jumping airport queues or attracting the bar staff’s attention
- Sunglasses – even the over fifties need to sleep sometimes
Tripadvisor is the best known site but our travel reviews are proof that we are seeing a whole new wave of ‘golden gap year’ travellers who are making the most of their time to explore the world.
Read our travel advice and reviews and find out why we are known as the silver tripadvisor.