Feeling shaky, lifeless, head pounding, dizzy, tongue sticking to the roof of the mouth? Yes it’s the party season and you’re hungover from a night of excess.
Our travelling pharmacist, Dave Harcombe, has been undertaking research into hangover cures on behalf of all Silver Travellers. A tough assignment, but someone has to do it!
Here’s his advice, gleaned from many years of serving the good folk of Doncaster and listening to their tips and handy remedies.
Alcohol dehydrates your body cells,so quickly replenish body fluids
- Drink lots of water or diluted fruit juice. Lemon juice is excellent. As is grapefruit juice.
- Pop some carrots and apple in a blender and drink.
- Flat cola is good.Take caffeine free though because caffeine dehydrates the body even more. Irn Bru is popular over the border.
Reach for tea not coffee!
- Avoid black coffee.Yes it gives a quick boost but prolongs the hangover. It’s diuretic effects dehydrate the body, concentrating the alcohol – making you feel worse.
- Soothe your soul and body by placing cold tea bags over the eyes.
- Drink ginger , fennel , or peppermint tea.
- A mug of hot chocolate is a winner too.
Food is a wonderful hangover cure
- Eat to boost blood sugar and reduce the weakness and trembling.
- Foods rich in fructose sugar helps to burn off the alcohol. Try a teaspoon of honey and eat a handful of grapes.
- A good fry up does work! Full English.
- Raw eggs are a traditional cure but if raw eggs aren’t your thing then eat scrambled or fried.
- Slices of black pudding work well too.
- Eating kiwi fruit or bananas will replace body potassium lost whilst drinking.
Vitamin C pushes the alcohol out of the body
- Strawberries, grapes, oranges and figs are all vitamin C rich.
- Taking a couple of Vitamin C tablets may be easier.
- An aromatherapy friend suggested adding the juice of a lemon to a tumblerful of water. Add and stir in one drop of fennel essential oil and drink before eating food.
- Milk Thistle helps liver cells perform better and helps detoxify the body.
A customer swears by this
- Add two or three drops of clove oil to a cube of sugar. Allow it to soak in and suck for hangover relief.
Do ask your pharmacist for help
- If you need to take a painkiller remember to take a soluble one which is quick acting and gentle on the stomach.
Please note that our ‘hangover cures’ are all gentle natural remedies which have been suggested by a qualified pharmacist based on his own experiences and the recommendations of his customers. However, always seek medical advice if symptoms persist or there is any cause for concern. Silver Travel Advisor cannot accept any liability for any of the suggestions made here.